Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Midlist Writer blog, where he talks about writing, adventure travel, caving, and everything else he gets up to. He also reproduces all the posts from Civil War Horror, so drop on by!

Sunday, January 19, 2014

My next work in progress: Trench Raiders


Right now I'm busy with preparations for releasing Radio Hope on February 1 and the accompanying virtual book tour. I'm also writing the sequel--Book Two in the Toxic World series, Refugees from the Righteous Horde.

After that, I'll be starting another series, Trench Raiders. These will be action books set in World War One along the lines of Jack Badelaire's excellent Commando series of WWII books. It follows a group of British soldiers as they become a crack trench raiding unit. The first book takes place at the Battle of Aisne in September 1914, the first time that the British Expeditionary Force faced German trenches.

As you might expect, the British got slaughtered, and this is where our heroes come in. They realize that frontal charges across No-Man's Land aren't going to work and so they develop their own techniques. I'm in the midst of researching the battle right now and came across this Wikimedia Commons image of an old German novel titled Hell Fights at the Aisne River. Cool image, but I won't be using it for my own cover. I want a British soldier, not a German one!

The plan is to alternate between my post-apocalyptic Toxic World series and the Trench Raiders series. I also have some stand-alone works simmering in the back of my mind. This year is going to be a busy one!

4 comments:

  1. Smart to have all of that planned. Wish I could plan more than one book at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone's process is different. For me, now that I have the setting for the Toxic World clearly in my head, and I'm discovering more about it as I write, there's another part of my brain that can research and muse about what to do for my Trench Raiders series. Mostly I'm just researching and making general sketches of the characters and situations right now. Research is important in a historical series like this. My core readership will be military history buffs, and they WILL tell me if I get something wrong!

      Delete
  2. I cannot wait for this to become a reality, Sean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you have a plan to follow to get it all done. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Feel free! No anonymous comments allowed, though. Too many spammers and haters on the Internet.