Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Midlist Writer blog, where he talks about writing, adventure travel, caving, and everything else he gets up to. He also reproduces all the posts from Civil War Horror, so drop on by!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

E is for England

While I love adventure travel, one of my favorite places to go is England, where I am right now. My wife, son, and I spend every Easter and summer in Oxford. It's a nice change from Spain and a good way to keep the kid bilingual. These are working vacations for us. My wife has collaborators at the university's astronomy department and I research my books at the Bodleian Library, one of the largest English-language libraries in the world. This shot is of Queen's Lane, part of my way to work.

Oxford has been a university town since the Middle Ages and is rich with history and tradition, like the Eights Week boat race. There are lots of historic sights nearby. Iffley village on the outskirts of Oxford has a Norman church and a pagan grove. My kid used to go to school right down the street from it when we lived there a couple of years ago.

For more about the sights in and around Oxford, check out my Gadling posts about travel in Oxfordshire.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely way to travel to work. I'm enjoying the different themes of A to Z, plus being introduced to so many different sites. I grew up in Georgia, but had never head the term "the war of northern aggression" until I moved to North Carolina well into my 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful place to spend summer and Easter!

    Stopping by via the A - Z challenge link up. I am following you through GFC.

    Feel free to stop by my blog at http://www.scatteredmusings.net/2012/04/buying-car/ (my combined b-d post)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great place to spend Easter. I've been to Oxford before and spent the whole day trying to visit every college. Didn't quite make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you travel like you blog, all or nothing! :-)

      Delete
  4. Interesting posts--going from Andersonville to Missouri to Oxford with an assasination in between. Just downloaded A Fine Likeness to my Kindle--horror and history sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photo and post. Reminds me of a line from a poem, "Oh, to be in England now that Spring is here."
    I can't remember who wrote it but it's a line I remember reading way back when I was in school.
    Hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Feel free! No anonymous comments allowed, though. Too many spammers and haters on the Internet.