Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Midlist Writer blog, where he talks about writing, adventure travel, caving, and everything else he gets up to. He also reproduces all the posts from Civil War Horror, so drop on by!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Version 2.0 for my cover

Last week I posted the first version of the cover for my Civil War horror novel, A Fine Likeness. Many of you fine folks gave good advice here and on the Kindle Direct Publishing forum. Here's version 2.0. The one thing that will certainly change is that "House Divided" will be capitalized since that's the series title. My brother-in-law doesn't speak much English so I think he missed that. What do you think of this new version?

8 comments:

  1. Spot on.

    The frame might be a little gaudy, but otherwise I think everything works just fine. If you didn't tell me this was for a KDP book, I'd assume it's the cover of a traditionally published hardcover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover. Like someone else mentioned on the 1st though, it says Civil War but it doesn't say "horror". Without knowing the story line I can't be sure what to incorporate.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack: Yeah, the frame is gaudy, but it's the original one for the picture. The Victorians always went a bit overboard.

    Andy: You're right that it doesn't say horror, although the blurry face and the gun to the head hint at something wrong. Since the horror element is subtle in this book (one of the reasons Tor rejected it, hard to market they say) I think I'll be able to get away with it. We shall see come September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it and think the look is more fitting than the first version.The only thing I would change is to not have your name entirely in capitals - but that's just personal taste I guess. As a reader (if I didn't know you), I might think it was a bit 'look at me'. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's much better than the first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me Gusta!! Version 2 Good to Go!! TiaAna

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Feel free! No anonymous comments allowed, though. Too many spammers and haters on the Internet.